Paralegal – Legal Assistant
Ken Guin Attorney at Law, PC – Jasper, Alabama
ALL CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING FOR EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION:
- COVER LETTER
- UPDATED RESUME WITH APPROPRIATE CONTRACT INFORMATION
- TYPING SPEED IN WPM
Contact Ken Guin VIA EMAIL ONLY at [email protected]
We are looking for a self-motivated, energetic Legal Assistant to ensure smooth running of the law office and effective case management and must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. You will provide a broad spectrum of legal services under the supervision of an attorney. This position requires a lot of interaction with attorneys and clients, multi-tasking, ability to follow instructions, meet a deadline and prioritization.
- Answer phone calls regarding cases, from clients, doctors, attorneys, medical providers, witnesses, etc.
- Client intakes, set appointments, calendar entries, and file all documents in case files.
- Monitor and manage all aspects of each client file as directed by the attorney.
- Draft deposition summaries, medical record summaries, interrogatory responses, filing, and organization.
- Track and notify attorneys of deadlines for cases, and follow up to make sure deadlines are met.
- Provide administrative support to a lawyer, enhance office effectiveness and attend trials as necessary.
- Transcription and typing legal documents and correspondence.
- Prepare letters, pleadings and other documents as needed.
- Edit, format and proofread a variety of documents.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings, depositions and conference calls.
- File pleadings, motions, and discovery with court systems.
- Must be able to pay high attention to details, perform well under strict deadlines and communicate effectively.
- Experience in a previous or current job(s) where there was a strong need to be: detail oriented, thorough, and assertive.
- Ability to handle multiple activities and work under pressure.
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced environment where being thorough and accurate is important.
- Working experience as a legal assistant or other relevant work, preferably in civil litigation with plaintiff orientation.
- Experience in filing w/both state and federal systems (Alafile and PACER).
- Familiarity with the law, legal procedures, and protocols and court system.
- Must have strong computer skills with the ability to learn new software if needed.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, strong word processing skills including transcription.
- Familiarity with pc and Mac computers.
- Familiarity with Alafile and Alacourt.
- Proficient Internet research.
- Ability to type 75 wpm.
- Excellent client service skills (patient, empathetic, friendly).
- Document management, ability to edit and produce legal documents.
- Good communication skills, strong written communication.
- Ability to multitask.
- Excellent secretarial and organizational skills.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Employees must be able to work 8-hour workday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing and scanning are required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets, and bend or stand as necessary. Light office cleaning as necessary.
This job operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners and filing cabinets.
Please note this job description is not designated to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Negotiable based on experience.